"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Friday, February 20, 2009

Government Intrusion in Health Care--Bring it On!

Jane Gross of the New York Times wrote a measured, thoughtful piece on some of the implications of what is perceived by many as intrusion by the government into the health care system. Click on this link to read the article, it gives us all much to think about. Like it or not, many of us are going to have to face paying at least some out of pocket expenses for health care in the coming years, particularly if we make choices to pursue bioidentical hormones or other "alternative medicine" modalities. I know that when I moved to NC, three practices that I called trying to get into a primary care physician were fruitless because the practices did not accept Medicare, my primary form of insurance. It's very frightening, but I know how low the reimbursements are for Medicare, and although I know it isn't my fault, I feel ashamed that a physician is being paid so little to care for me under the Medicare system.

No comments:

Post a Comment