"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, January 10, 2010

Vitamin D deficiency increasingly common

From SFGate.com----an article on the importance of Vitamin D in health (remember, Vitamin D is actually a prohormone, not a vitamin). I have been taking 5000 IU's daily for over 3 years, and I feel great. Remember when purchasing supplements to get the bottle labeled D3, which absorbs better than plain Vitamin D. Vitamin D has been shown to help with SAD (seasonal affective disorder)---the mild depression that is common this time of year, particularly in areas that get little sun in the winter (I'm from Upstate NY, the capitol of winter gloominess). CNN noted yesterday that if you live furthrer north than Atlanta, that even if you stood outside naked all day long in the winter (no, I'm not recommending this for a lot of reasons!) that the sun is at such an angle that you would not get adequate Vitamin D by sun exposure. We get quite a bit of sun here in NC, even in the winter, which I think also helps with SAD ---- but, good grief, I want it to warm back up ---- we are, like most of the Eastern half of the country, in the middle of a deep freeze----I think it went down to about 15 degrees this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment