"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vitamin D levels are adequate in most Americans, survey finds

From the LA Times comes an article that says "most" Americans have "adequate" Vitamin D levels. OK, first of all, there is a big difference between "adequate" and "optimal" (Dr. Carr's optimal range for Vitamin D is 70-100 ng/ml, as always, check with your provider). Secondly, even here in the Southeast, where the sun is relatively abundant most of the year, I have very few friends/acquaintences who are anywhere near optimal levels. Most are only taking Vitamin D supplementation as part of a multivitamin, or in the case of women, with their calcium---and I know a bunch of people who have ended up taking the 50,000 IU pills once weekly to try to get their levels up. I personally take 5000 IUs daily, and in the winter I take 10,000 IUs (we get some sun in the winter here, but it's not strong enough to produce much Vitamin D.) My last Vitamin D reading was 60 ng/ml, which is close to optimal range. Blood testing again the end of this month. Good day to post a Vitamin D article, as it is very sunny here in NC. Tomorrow I am off on a mini-vacation adventure, so I will be back about Tuesday with new postings. Have a happy, safe, and sunny weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment