"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, June 2, 2013

Levoxyl recalled, may be unavailable until 2014

Damn.  I was sure I had posted about this back in April, but if I did the post disappeared because I do not see it on my newsfeed.

I take Levoxyl (brand name) for T4 hypothyroidism.  Dr. Carr always orders brand name Levoxyl instead of generic because of its efficacy and consistency of dosage.  I went to refill my prescription today and found that because of a drug recall by Pfizer (article link is to Endocrine Today), Levoxyl in any dosage is not available at this time, and the drug may not be available again until 2014.  I am NOT a happy camper.

I know many of my readers also take Levoxyl, so it affects a lot of us.  If you are taking brand name, you need to speak with your doctor's office to find out about alternatives until this gets straightened out.  The generics work for some people, others have had heart palpitations (usually brief).  I'll keep you updated on how I will be dealing with this medication issue, but as I always remind readers, check with your doctor before making any changes in your medication or supplement regimen.