"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pfizer's new drug for menopause..........

Oh, good, Pfizer (with FDA approval) is introducing a new drug to the market for post menopausal women. They haven't done enough damage with their drugs Premarin and Pempro, which, if you are a regular reader of this blog, know are synthetic hormones made from the urine of pregnant mare's.  They are NOT hormones, they are drugs, and they were the substances used in the Women's Health Initiative (the study that was halted because of the increase in health issues and deaths).  Now Pfizer wants menopausal women to take Duavee, which is a combination of horse pee and a drug known as a selective seratonin receptor modulator (SERM), which is supposed to prevent post menopausal osteoporosis.  Bone stressing exercise (weight training), testosterone optimization, and Vitamin D optimization are known to prevent osteoporosis too, but most women would rather just pop a pill (even a pill containing horse piss) than make the effort to prevent osteoporosis in a more natural way.

Besides the fact that ingesting horse pee has been proven to be unsafe for humans, the methods to collect the ingredient necessary for making Premarin/Prempro is abusive to the horses involved.  I shared a video with you about that in my last blog post, and Dr. Carr shared another one with his patients :



I had a rather interesting conversation with a woman recently----she shared with me that she takes Premarin cream for vaginal dryness. I mentioned that I have successfully used estriol cream for a number of years for vaginal dryness/atrophy, and was dismissively told that her doctor wouldn't prescribe that. I got the sense she had never heard of estriol cream before I mentioned it, and therefore had never asked her doctor about it, so how does she know he/she won't consider prescribing it.........but never mind, that's another issue.  I told her that the methods used to collect the urine from the pregnant mare's was very abusive and tortured the animals involved, and she held her hand up and told me she did not want to hear me talk about it in a tone that said she wished not to be informed so that she was not inconvenienced.  That's fine, I stopped immediately;  the woman owns a dog and says she is an animal lover.  I guess that means dogs.  In the conversation, I also learned that Premarin runs about $100-$125 per tube, my estriol cream is much less than that and has the added benefit of not torturing animals.  For me, that's a win-win.