"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Can Shoes Really Tone the Body?

Good afternoon, everyone! I hope you are all staying cool and hydrated in this awful heat (here in NC we have heat index warnings of about 105 degrees). It's been way too hot to walk since about Sunday, but fortunately, the heat is supposed to break a bit by tomorrow, so perhaps I can get in at least three walks this week.

This article from the NYTimes.com didn't come across my newsfeed, I am not sure exactly how I backed into it. It's worth sharing with you, as I know a lot of you like to walk as part of your fitness routine (you are also doing weights for bone health, aren't you?) Some ofyou may remember that I purchased a pair of the Shape Up (Sketchers) shoes last September:

I tried, I really, really tried to like them, but I ended up hating them. I am not one of those people who wears sneakers out and about every day (I am way too in love with cute shoes---sigh---it's a sickness), but I do wear them almost every day for some form of workout. They made me overpronate both feet terribly, and I found no toning benefit. They were also a bit scary, as if I didn't have my foot at least halfway on a step when climbing stairs, I felt unstable, like I was going to fall backwards. I finally bought a pair of Saucony cross trainers for the gym and workouts at home, and a pair of Ryka walking shoes for fitness walks (so far, so good). I sent the Sketchers to Goodwill. Everyone is different, and I have friends that swear by these.

Now if it would just cool off so I could GO walking-------make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment