"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, October 23, 2011

Is There a 'Best' Exercise?

I've been exercising regularly for about 5 years now----and it still amazes me that I can say that. I'm not setting any records, and for me it's partially about overall health and partly about being able to stand up and walk; I have a very screwed up back, pelvis and hip from a long ago car accident so my exercise routines are actually physical therapy. I am a big believer in combining cardio/aerobic exercise with weight training. I cured my osteopenia with regular weight exercise, Vitamin D and testosterone, and I don't want to go backwards. I love to walk, but right now I am dealing with a pretty bad case of Achilles tendonosis (both ankles), so I have had to substitute riding the recumbent bike (yawn) as a safe alternative.

I love to listen to the conversations at the gym about what everyone else does as their favourite form of exercise, a lot of what they are talking about I have never even heard of! People can be really passionate. Check out this article from the Huffington Post, and also from The NY Times. I agree with the statement that the best exercise is different for each person----do what you can, what you enjoy, and what won't eventually bore you to death. I think one of the hardest things for me to adjust to was that I need to constantly change up your routines, like most of you, I am a creature of habit and get comfortable with doing the same routines over a period of time.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! It's gorgeous but cold here in NC----Fall is making a statement!