"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Here's a weight loss tip for you: Get some sleep!

I've written posts on this before, but not in a while......getting adequate sleep is crucial in losing weight and maintaining that weight loss. Trust me on this one, I know what I'm talking about. Check out this article from Todayhealth.Today.com.

Weight and sleep issues are two of the most common complaints I hear from peri/menopausal women, and I have been there (and still am) on both counts. I know that when my sleep improved with the hormonal balance, the weight was easier to lose, and easier to keep off. Conversely, I know when I go through periods of either elevated pain or high stress, my sleep gets way off, and I CRAVE sugary, sweet junk food.....and the weight goes up with literally no effort. I'm far better about controlling my cravings, but it will always be a struggle. My cortisol (stress hormone) level is always elevated, but once my hormones got balanced (and I felt so much better), my sleep improved, and my cortisol level has dropped by about 30%. I also take Cortisol Manager (by Ortho Molecular) at night, and I know that has helped my cortisiol level. When my cortisol is lower, my sleep is better, so it's a cycle.

Sweet dreams!