"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Multiple Sclerosis Linked to Vitamin D Levels, Study Says

I picked a nice, sunny day (here in NC at least) to share with you an article from The Wall Street Journal.  The article discusses a research study done on the possible link between low Vitamin D levels and developing multiple sclerosis. 

A couple quick points:

  • A Vermont physician, Dr. Andrew Soloman, recommends that his patients take between 2000 and 4000 IUs (International Units) of Vitamin D daily.  Seeing that makes me very happy, the Institute of Medicine in the US only recommends adults taking 600 IUs of Vitamin D daily, and many doctors (including my own) say that is nowhere near enough Vitamin D to maintain healthy levels in the bloodstream.  I personally take 5000 IUs of Vitamin D3 daily, and the brand I use is Ortho Molecular, which is made in 5000 IU capsules.  In the winter (mid November to early March) I take 10000 IUs daily.  Dr. Carr's optimal range of Vitamin D levels is 70-100 ng/ml, and I am generally happy if I can get my levels to about 70. 

  • The article briefly discusses how the use of sunscreen can affect Vitamin D levels.  This is something you need to discuss with your doctor, but I will tell you that I don't use sunscreen, and I know it has helped to keep my Vitamin D levels healthy.  I have never had a problem with skin cancer and I don't burn (even in NC summers when I am in the outdoor pool for about 40 minutes 4-6 days per week). 
As always, talk to your doctor about your Vitamin D levels and how much Vitamin D you need to take daily.