"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A New Year Resolution for EVERYONE!

I am not big on New Year's resolutions ----- as most of you already know, they are generally broken by mid-February, and then when you break them, you feel so bad you do something unhealthy. For me, it would be stuffing my face with a half box of Oreos just because I fell off my "diet"-----I've been eating too emotionally in 2012, and I am now refocusing on eating healthy and asking myself before I put something in my mouth am I really hungry? Or, am I tired, in pain, bored, angry?

However, I have one New Year's project/resolution that absolutely every one of you can keep. Before next Tuesday, sit down at your computer and compile (or update) your health history. Include:
  • Name, full address, and telephone number
  • Surgical history (for me this is a big one---I had 15 surgeries post accident and there is no way I could remember them all without a written list)
  • Current medications (name, dose, frequency)
  • All bioidentical hormones (names, dosages)
  • Supplements/Vitamins (complete list, this is important especially if you see more than one doctor)
  • Names, specialty, and phone number of every doctor who is treating you
  • Emergency contacts
I updated my list this morning, and I always keep a copy in my purse. I also make sure any physician that treats me has an updated copy of the list (trust me, doctors love it when a patient does this!), and I give a copy to any new physician that treats me.  I have also given a copy to the three friends listed as emergency contacts. 

Don't make excuses, don't put it off-----DO IT! And have a happy, healthy, peaceful 2013!