"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, March 19, 2013

One in three elderly have dementia when they die

I think many if not nearly all of my readers are affected by this report in today's USA Today.  Many of us are now or have had to care for elderly parents or grandparents, and far too many of our elderly loved ones have suffered from some form of dementia or Alzheimer's disease. I have a friend who lost her husband just about a year ago from frontal temporal dementia (at the age of 63, he developed the disease in his late 50's), and it was utterly painful to watch the progression of the disease and how it affected the entire family.  I feel truly blessed that although my mother was an invalid the last few years of her life, her mind was (very) sharp until the morning she died.  I'm not sure I could have kept her at home if dementia or other cognitive impairments were an issue along with her physical frailties.

I can't say that I know that bioidentical hormone optimization is cutting my risk for developing dementia in my later years, but I feel like better health at the cellular level, as well as keeping my hormone levels optimized, exercise, and keeping my mind busy and engaged are all helping in the fight.   For those of you who are currently taking care of loved ones with dementia and cognitive issues, my thoughts are with you.  It's a very difficult thing to endure, but please try to remember to take care of yourself too.  As my doctor told me when I was taking care of my mother "you can't pour from an empty pitcher."

Happy Spring starting tomorrow! It sure won't feel like it here in NC, we have had a cold, cloudy, miserable winter.  Today is the lone seasonal day of the week, tomorrow the high here will barely reach 50 degrees, and that is nearly 12-15 degrees below average. Boo, hiss.  Make it a great week!