"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

I don't like the word "resolution" when talking about the new year to come; it's been my experience that when I set a resolution I blow it before the end of the first month.  The word goal seems to work for me, yeah, we'll go with that.

One of my goals for this year is to read more to my potential; in the last couple years I have fallen into the chick lit and romance novel rut because it's good escapism.  While there is nothing wrong with chick lit/romance novels, and there are a few authors I will continue to follow, I need to challenge my brain more.  I have a couple non fiction books out of the library right now, and also a novel that is a little bit weightier than what I have been reading.  

I also need to work more on my emotional eating issues (and I have a couple books in my library on the subject----I will review on the blog).  I need to ask myself before I put something in my mouth --- am I really hungry? Or (more likely), am I tired, bored, angry or in pain?

However, I have one New Year's project/resolution that absolutely every one of you can keep. Before the first of the year, sit down at your computer and compile (or update) your health history. Include:
  • Name, full address, and telephone number
  • Surgical history (for me this is a big one---I had 15 surgeries post accident and there is no way I could remember them all without a written list)
  • Current medications (name, dose, frequency)
  • All bioidentical hormones (names, dosages)
  • Supplements/Vitamins (complete list, this is important especially if you see more than one doctor)
  • Names, specialty, and phone number of every doctor who is treating you
  • Emergency contacts
I am going to update my medical history this morning, and I always keep a copy in my purse. I also make sure any physician that treats me has an updated copy of the list (trust me, doctors love it when a patient does this!), and I give a copy to any new physician that treats me.  I have also given a copy to the three friends listed as emergency contacts.  

It's important to review the list more than once a year, particularly if you are on any medications or hormones (and if you are reading this blog, you probably are!)  I know in my own case, Dr. Carr has made at least three adjustments to my thyroid medications this year; once to change from Levoxyl to Synthroid (because of the Levoxyl recall) and then we have had to make two adjustments to the dosage of Synthroid to get me to optimal levels.  Make sure you update your medical history when such changes occur.

Don't make excuses, don't put it off-----DO IT! And have a happy, healthy, peaceful 2014!