"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, October 20, 2011

'Our Bodies' Gets an Israeli Makeover

This article from the Jewish Daily Forward really caught my attention because I have owned at least two versions of the book "Our Bodies, Ourselves". I remember when it came out in 1970 (I was 12), it was groundbreaking and very controversial. My mother did buy me a copy, but told me I was not to share it with my friends. As I remember, we had to go to a bigger city to purchase it, as the bookstore in our small town did not carry it. Times sure have changed.

I'm fascinated with the terms used for menopause in Arabic and Hebrew. The book coined new words for this time in our lives and I like them much better. I didn't realize in Israel that fertility treatments are covered by the government and therefore widely used. I am sad to say I do not know very much about the Israeli culture, but this article makes me want to learn more.