"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, January 5, 2014

Vitamin D-----it's what's for winter :)

I am officially sick of winter already, and that's from someone who spent over 40 years in Upstate NY but who now lives in the Piedmont of North Carolina!  It's gray, gloomy, and a band of rain just went through.  Just heard on the news that we will hit record setting lows on Tuesday, and will be at least 48 hours below the freezing mark (our average daily high about this time of year is about 50-52 degrees.)  The lack of sunshine is what is getting to me...........I'm starting to think there is no such thing as enough Vitamin D (just kidding!)

I've gotten several inquires in the last couple weeks about Vitamin D levels and the best brands to use.  Be aware that this is coming from me, who is not a medical professional, and I encourage everyone to consult with their doctor or healthcare provider about Vitamin D and everything else.  My own doctor likes to have his patients at a level of 70-100 ng/ml and the level is determined by a blood test.  If you have never had your Vitamin D level checked, do it at your next doctor's visit.  If your doctor says you don't need to have the level checked, I would ask why and if the answer isn't satisfactory, look into getting another doctor.

The last time my Vitamin D level was checked was in late October, and it was a nice, healthy 78 ng/ml.  I am often asked how much Vitamin D I take.  From early October through mid April, I take 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D....no, that's not a typo, that's ten thousand IUs Vitamin D.  I need that much to keep my levels optimal, and I have it checked at least 3-4 times a year.  From mid April to October, I take 5000 IUs, because I am out in the sun more, and in the summer, I do my physical therapy exercises in an outdoor pool at least 4 days a week.  An interesting benefit of the Vitamin D optimization is that I now tan beautifully, and I will shock a lot of you when I say this, but I do not use sunscreen.

Make sure you are taking Vitamin D3, which has better absorption.  I am asked what brand(s) I use, as I use the brands that Dr. Carr's office recommends, or other quality brands. I stay away from supplements from the big box stores, as they too often contain far less of the supplement than indicated on the bottle, the quality control just isn't there.  I prefer Life Extension Vitamin D3, and I have also used OrthoMolecular Vitamin D3 and Nutrigold Vitamin D3.

To aid in the absorption, I also take Vitamin K, specifically MK-7.  I have successfully used brands by Jarrow, Life Extension, and one other brand (yellow label on the bottle, I think) that right now I can't remember the name.

Hope this information helps.  One of the books on my list of recommended reading is The Vitamin D Revolution by Dr. Soram  Khalsa, it can be ordered through Amazon.  If you have a Kindle, or the Kindle app on your phone or tablet, check out this free book Power of Vitamin D.

Stay warm, and stay safe!