"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Natural remedies that have been shown to be of value for preventing or treating influenza.- Alan R. Gaby, M.D.

Dr. Carr (my hormone physician) shared this article with his patients recently, and with cold and flu season upon us, I thought it was good information to share with you.

I am a huge believer in using supplements to boost the immune system, and they sure have worked for me. I take both Vitamin C and Vitamin D, and I think in the last 5 years (since I have been on bioidenticals) I have had maybe two very light colds. Period. I haven't been sick at all otherwise, and I am out and about with people just about every single day.

Two important notes:

Dr. Carr prefers to use a liquid form of Vitamin C


for better absorption. I take two packets a day, the taste isn't bad but I just put it in a small glass of Crystal Light or lemonade and drink it.


Make absolutely sure you are taking a good brand of Vitamin D, I use Ortho Molecular. I learned an important lesson about this a couple years ago ---- I ran out of my regular supply, forgot to order it, and grabbed a bottle of Vitamin D at the drug store. Two months later I had my Vitamin D level checked (routine, I have it done at least twice a year) and my level had tanked big time. I now never let my supply of the Ortho Molecular brand get too low!


Both the Vitamin D and Vitamin C are available through Dr. Carr's website, the office number is 760-779-55111 and ask for Jason. Wishing you a happy, healthy, sneeze/cough free week!