"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, December 22, 2011

Uterine Fibroids Cost The U.S. Billions Of Dollars: Study

I had a partial hysterectomy in 2002 because of uterine fibroids; although they weren't huge, they were causing big problems with my menstrual cycles (I was ranging from 21 to 65 days) and I was losing so much blood I became severely anemic. At the time, removal of the uterus was the best option, but I sure wish I had known then what I know now about hormonal imbalances and low progesterone levels. My supposed overnight stay in the hosptial for the hysterectomy turned into an 8 day stay, as I had to go back to surgery for bleeding issues and then developed a urinary tract infection that required IV antibiotics.

Check out this article from The Huffington Post.com about the financial cost of uterine fibroids, not just in medical costs but in lost wages, etc. It's staggering, and I wonder how much of it could be alleviated with just a portion of the women affected getting their hormones bioidentically balanced.

Happy Winter Solstice----it's 65 degrees here in Charlotte right now, so a pretty mild start to the official winter season. The days start getting longer now----yay! This is a good time to remind you that even with the business of the holiday season, don't forget to take your Vitamin D (and your other vitamins too!) as even on sunny days this time of year the sun is not strong enough to give us the Vitamin D we need.