"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Saturday, January 5, 2013

Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?

It's funny, every time I share an article here on the blog on Vitamin D, I automatically look out the window to see if it's sunny or cloudy (today it's sunny in NC.)  I hope to go out and get in my walk this morning before I meet with my Saturday peeps for lunch ----- I firmly believe maintaining friendships and social relationships is just as important as bioidentical hormones for quality of life. 

But I digress.  I carp on Vitamin D levels constantly, because it's an important prohormone and far too many people have not had their levels tested.  A substantial number of people who are in the post menopausal years are dealing with chronic pain issues, and this article from CBSNews.com is important reading.  A Mayo Clinic study suggests that people with inadequate levels of Vitamin D take more narcotics for pain management than those with adequate Vitamin D levels.  It's worth looking into if you or someone you care for is taking narcotics for pain management. 

When the discussion comes up about Vitamin D, I am frequently asked how much I take.  This time of year (October to about March), I take 5000 IUs every other day, and 10000 IUs on the alternate days.  Come springtime, when the sun is stronger and I am outdoors for longer periods of time, I am usually fine with 5000 IUs daily.  Come summer here in NC, I am in the outdoor pool in our subdivision at least 4-5 days a week, even so, I still take my daily Vitamin D dose.  Dr. Carr likes his patients to be in the 70-100 ng/ml range, we consider it a victory when my level gets to about 70. 

Time for me to inject my weekly doses of testosterone and estrogen (I've already taken my first dose of progesterone for the day), climb into my workout clothes, and head outside to walk.  Oh, warm up a bit first with some stretches ---- particularly calf and Achilles tendon stretches.  Have a great weekend, everyone!