"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, August 2, 2010

Medical Edge: Hormone changes play a role in development of migraine headaches

Good morning! Talk about serendipity---two of my friends have been dealing with awful migraine headaches lately, and then this morning this article from the Mayo Clinic popped up on my newsfeed. The article seems a bit ambivalent about the role of hormones in migraines. However, it is well known that estrogen is hard on the arteries, it makes sense to me that hormonal changes have an effect on migraines. I know without a doubt it did for me, I had such terrible premenstrual migraine headaches that I would have to lay down with ice bags packed around my head in a cool, dark room. They were awful, I was teaching school at the time and I used to pray every month that if I was going to get a headache, please let it be on the weekend when I could just stay in bed. I wish I knew back then what I now know about hormonal balance......

Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment