"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hip Fractures Tied to Death in 60-Something Women.

Hi everyone, back from a mini vacation (Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge, TN). Had a great time, even got to take a "mini" hike in the Smoky Mountain National Park-----felt wonderful!

This article from the Wall Street Journal (blogs) should concern all of us! Women in their 60's who break a hip are 5 times (yikes) more likely to die within a year than women of the same age group who don't break a hip. As most of you know, I am not at all in favour of the osteoporosis drugs....neither is my doctor, he doesn't prescribe them. Before I started the biodientical hormones 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with osteopenia, but two years ago my bone density showed that not only do I no longer have osteopenia, my bone density is comfortably in the normal range. I was thrillled! I attribute it to testosterone optimization, Vitamin D, and regular weight training exercise (3 times a week----I lift light weights and use the weight machines at the gym). I'm all about bone health-------and studies like this make me only more dedicated!

No comments:

Post a Comment