"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stronger Cautions Backed on Bone Drugs for Women

It's been well documented on this blog that I am NOT a fan of bisphosphonate (bone density) drugs---I wouldn't take them on a bet. They don't work, and are linked to some pretty serious side effects. I was diagnosed with osteopenia (the precursor to osteoporosis) about 7 years ago, and I started bioidentical hormones about two years later. The hormone balance, along with a commitment to weight training exercise and Vitamin D optimization, cured my osteopenia and in fact, put my bone density comfortably in the normal range.

The drugs are in the news again because an advisory panel is urging the FDA to put more specific warnings on the osteoporosis meds that they should only be taken for a limited amount of time (my time frame would be zero, but I wasn't asked). For more information, check out this article in the NYTimes.com.

On another note, today is an important day in our history. Pause and reflect, then get out and find joy in the day------it's the best way to honour those lost 10 years ago. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment