"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Risks: Partial Hysterectomies Affect Menopause

This article from the NY Times.com came across my newsfeed this morning----and it's a question I deal with a lot. There is now scientific evidence that a partial hysterectomy does increase the risk of an earlier menopause. I know in my own case, I had a partial hysterectomy in the summer of 2002, I was 44, and within a year was suddenly having severe peri/menopause symptoms. My hot flashes were excruciating, I gained all sorts of weight, and I became deeply depressed. I met Dr. Carr and got my hormones balanced not too long after that (thank goodness), and I remember at one of my first appointments he told me that even in a hysterectomy where the ovaries are left intact, the removal of the uterus causes a decrease in blood flow to the ovaries, thus diminishing their capacity to produce hormones.

I may or may not post again this week, Thursday I am on my way to CA for my appointment with Dr. Carr. One of my friends from NY is meeting me out there, so I guess this qualifies as girl's weekend out! I'll have plenty to talk about when I get back, enjoy the rest of your week.