"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, November 6, 2011

Women who stop hormones therapy increase hip-fracture risk

One of the many benefits to bioidentical hormone optimization is stronger bones-----I had osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis) before I got my hormones balanced, and now I have nice, strong, healthy bones (and I've inadvertently tested them a few times over the last years by falling---my back gives out every once in a while). Check out this article from the LATimes.com, and pay close attention to this passage:

"About one-quarter of women who have a hip fracture die within one year. One-quarter require long-term care after a hip fracture and 50% suffer a long-term loss of mobility."

That alone is enough to scare the stuffing out of me------I'm all about independence and mobility, since I lost both for an extended period of time after a car accident.

One other thing-----although the hormone optimization helped tremendously with bone health (particularly testosterone), it was also partly due to Vitamin D level optimization, and regular exercise with weights. I hate working with weights, but I know how important it is for bone health----so I suck it up three times a week and just do it.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!