"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Study: Trauma, stress may contribute to bowel disorder

I'm sharing this article from USA Today.com for a couple of reasons:

1. I had a pretty substantial case of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) for years, and it wasn't until much later that I was told is was at least in part hormonally related. I would get so sick just before my period with stomach cramps, etc. that I used to pray my worst days would be over the weekend so I could just stay in bed. Since I got my hormones optimized, I haven't had any problems whatsoever (I never even get an upset stomach!)

2. I was sexually abused as a child, and so this study reinforced what I had long suspected---there was a correlation between the abuse and the intestinal problems I had for so long. Since I know so many of you have shared with me that you have dealt with similar sexual abuse issues, I thought it was important to share this article with you.

The Mayo Clinic has a pretty comprehensive overview of IBS, symptoms, treatments, etc. If this is something that you are dealing with, please be sure to talk to your doctor---and if necessary, a therapist or other trusted healthcare provider.