"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sleep Problems Triple Women's Fibromyalgia Risk

I know that a huge percentage of the women who contact me about peri/menopausal issues tell me that sleep disorders are one of the most frustrating issues of menopause. I have long dealt with sleep disturbances because of chronic pain from a car accident---and then when I hit perimenopause, I almost went nuts from sleep deprivation. The lack of sleep exacerbated my depression issues, which in turn cause further sleep issues............and on it goes. I do not have fibromyalgia, my pain issues are from a car accident in 1992.

Check out this article from The Huffington Post.com on the relationship between sleep disturbances and the risk of fibromyalgia. I will share with you that bioidentical hormone balance has helped my sleep considerably, and got me off the Ambien/Lunesta whatever pharmaceuticals I was on to sleep. I now take melatonin and I use Cortisol Manager (Integrative Theraputics ----- it's a supplement) at night to help me sleep.