"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wisdom From 'The Wisdom of Menopause'

I have ready Dr. Northrup's book The Wisdom of Menopause, and I'll just say that it's interesting. Here is an excerpt (actually, several very short exerpts) from the book in this article on The Huffington Post.com. A couple of quick points:


I actually am more creative post menopausal, but I attribute it to being bioidentically hormonally balanced. Between all the medications I was taking and the lack of hormones, before BHRT I was definitely dealing with cognitive impairment, and it very much adversely affected my creativity (and since I am by nature a very creative person, it was devastating). Once I got balanced, I was able to discontinue 7 medications, including the Ritalin I had taken for years for ADD. I'm still ADD to be sure, but I am able to (mostly) manage the symptoms pretty well. I make a lot of lists, keep myself to a routine, and try not to fly off the wall over little things.


My bone health was absolutely improved with testosterone therapy, regular weight training (I do light weights at home, weight machines at the gym) and Vitamin D3 optimization. I'm huge on this---a lady at the gym last week told me her son told her that women should never do weights. I am to be congratulated for not screaming bloody murder right in the middle of the gym. I took a deep breath, smiled, and politely explained to her that weight training is absolutely crucial for bone health.


Dr. Northrup's view on breast health? Ummmmm. I really just can't wrap my head around that one (OMG, get your mammograms!)