"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, February 20, 2012

Treating Depression: Is there a placebo effect?

If I had $1 for every patient who has told me that their doctor has prescribed antidepressants for their menopausal symptoms, I could afford to fly out and see my doctor every month (and fly first class). It makes me crazy, and one of my favourite sayings is "we have hormone deficiencies, not antidepressant deficiencies".

I was fascinated by last night's 60 Minutes Sunday segment on antidepressants and the placebo effect. I hope this is water cooler conversation in every doctor's office and health care concern in the US. We can do better to treat people with mild to moderate depression. Click here to read and/or view the story from last night.

If you are currently taking antidepressants, talk to your doctor. Don't EVER, EVER, EVER (that strong enough) stop taking antidepressants cold turkey ------ it's extremely dangerous.

Happy President's Day, everyone!