"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Saturday, February 25, 2012

Vitamin D Deficiency May Affect Trauma Patients

It's a beautiful, sunny (but cold) day here in NC, so it's time for an article on Vitamin D. This post from NaturalStandard.com discusses a study in which a signifcant majority of trauma patients were found to have either deficient/insufficient levels of Vitamin D. As someone who ended up in a trauma center 20 years ago because of a severe car crash, this article hit a nerve---I will guarantee you that I was deficient in Vitamin D. I was not eating at all healthy at the time, did not take supplements, and lived in the Northeast (where we rarely saw the sun from October to March!). I shudder to think of how bad my Vitamin D level likely was. Remember if you are taking Vitamin D supplementation to take Vitamin D3-----and it's important to take a good quality vitamin. I use OrthoMolecular brand (I take 5000 IUs daily----check with your doctor).