"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, February 23, 2012

You could die of a broken heart, doctors say

Since we are nearing the end of Women's Heart Health Month (you have been making an effort to wear red this month, right?) I thought I would share this article with you from The Chicago Tribune. The topic is cardiomyopathy, or what is being referred to in the media as "broken heart syndrome". I think by now we know that stress and emotions can affect physical health and the research on this condition bears that out. Note that a significant percentage of those affected by this problem are post menopausal women-----who have lower levels of estrogen, which has been shown to be heart protective.

I am suffering from spring fever, it's 74 degrees here today and it sooooooo smells like spring out! I've been hearing a number of people complaining about allergies (something that my bioidentical hormones, progesterone specifically, cured), and the daffodils are already in full bloom. Enjoy the rest of your week!