"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hormone Replacement Therapy and a Middle Ground for Menopause

(sigh)---No surprise here, NAMS (North American Menopause Society) has come out with a position statement that does not support the use of bioidentical hormones. Dr. David Katz has written an article for the HuffingtonPost.com about hormone replacement therapy (without even considering BHRT) and its use in menopausal women. I wrote a comment about the efficacy of BHRT in the comments section below the article, but I don't know if it will get published as I included my email in it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Andrea for your support. I am a 61-year-old woman in New Jersey, sitting out here, instinctively knowing most of my problems are rooted in the need for hormones. I am having a heck of a time finding a reasonable doctor, who won't skin me alive financially, who can simply help me with this bio-identical hormone issue. Two of my friends, one in Tucson, AZ and the other in Nashville, TN have been taking these hormones for a few years and their lives have radically changed. I am afraid, however, of turning to someone who might not know what they're doing or just be in it for the money, as many seem to be.
    Knowing there is someone like you out there to provide information is very refreshing. Thanks again.
    Mati.

    ReplyDelete