"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, January 17, 2011

OnTheGoWomen---check it out!

I received information on this site a month or so ago, and life got in the way so I am a bit delayed in sharing it with you. It's called OnTheGoWomen (it's a Canadian based site), and it has a lot of information about how osteoporosis affects us as women. Check out the following links, I think the sections of the website on how to have a conversation with your doctor:

osteoporosis, bisphosphonates, osteoporosis treatment, strong bones, healthy bones, osteoporosis fracture, healthy bone, osteoporosis risk factors, osteoporosis fractures, osteoporosis injection, osteoporosis information, osteoporosis risksosteoporosis, bisphosphonates, osteoporosis treatment, strong bones, healthy bones, osteoporosis fracture, healthy bone, osteoporosis risk factors, osteoporosis fractures, osteoporosis injection, osteoporosis information, osteoporosis risks




Your mom or other older female relative:

osteoporosis, bisphosphonates, osteoporosis treatment, strong bones, healthy bones, osteoporosis fracture, healthy bone, osteoporosis risk factors, osteoporosis fractures, osteoporosis injection, osteoporosis information, osteoporosis risks




And how to assess your own risk of developing osteoporosis:

osteoporosis, bisphosphonates, osteoporosis treatment, strong bones, healthy bones, osteoporosis fracture, healthy bone, osteoporosis risk factors, osteoporosis fractures, osteoporosis injection, osteoporosis information, osteoporosis risks




Now, the caveat from me is that I am NOT a fan of the osteoporosis drugs that are way too routinely given----I was able to reverse my osteopenia with bioidentical hormone balance, Vitamin D, and regular weight bearing exercise. However, I am also a firm believer in having an honest, open conversation with your doctor about the best choices for you (and your family). I am also a firm believer in getting after our Moms about bone health-----my own mother had crippling osteoporosis by the time she was in her mid 70's, and when she was younger, refused to do anything about it (including refusing a bone density test----she drove me nuts). She fell and fractured her upper arm in 3 places and was never the same, in fact, the immobility exacerbated other health issues and she died less than a year and a half later. I do not want that to happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment