"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, February 10, 2011

iPhone medical apps for patients with migraine headaches

Anyone who knows me knows that I am unabashedly in love with my IPhone. I tell people that I do everything but suck on it (and honestly, I don't even use the phone that much, but I love being "connected" all the time).

I will also tell you that I used to suffer from awful premenstrual headaches---now I know they were hormonal migraines (I had a doctor at the time who was not too bright, he used to pretty much blow off my symptoms about everything---I'm much smarter now). Even in peri-menopause before I got my hormones balanced----I would get headaches that would get so bad I had to lay in a quiet room with an ice pack. No more, thank goodness, I'd take the hormones just for that reason alone!

A lot of you who write to me tell me that you suffer from migraines, so I was interested this morning when I ran across this article in KevinMD.com (he has some really great articles on his blog!). This article is written by a woman who suffers from migraine headaches, and she reviews a number of Apps that are available on the IPhone. Yes, there are apps for pretty much everything now. Even if you are not an IPhone user, you may be able to find the same apps on your Droid, Blackberry or other smartphone. I am going to go check out the Chronic Pain Tracker----it will help me keep track of my back/hip pain so that when there is an issue, I can talk to my doctor about it and can refer to the app for symptoms, times, etc.

Hang in there everyone, spring officially starts in 38 days! I know my old stomping ground is getting hammered with lake effect snow today, and the pictures on TV of the multiple snowstorms in the Midwest make me glad I no longer live in snow country. Don't forget your Vitmain D, exercise, deep breathing, and your sense of humour!

1 comment: