"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Updated Egg: Less Cholesterol but Is It a 'Healthy Food'?

Yes, I know that the egg in itself has little to do with menopause or hormones. However, I am sharing this article from TimeMagazine.com with you for a couple of reasons:

1. I burst out laughing when I saw how much Vitamin D is in an egg---41 IUs. Someone is going to read an article on this and think that if they eat an egg every day, no need for supplementation. Just for a point of reference, I take 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D daily, and I am still at the low end of the optimal range (checked with a blood test). Talk to your doctor about the optimal level of supplementation for you-----and if your doctor tries to blow you off about getting your Vitamin D level tested---push back!

2. If cholesterol is a concern for you ---- think about getting your thyroid levels tested (and I mean your T3 free, T4 free, and your TSH---too many doctors rely only on TSH levels). I could never get a doctor to even test me for thyroid until I started seeing Dr. Carr, my thyroid was way off and I take two different meds now. My total cholesterol has dropped by 130 points, and my LDL and HDL are now within optimal range.

No comments:

Post a Comment