"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, March 3, 2011

Report stresses options for colon cancer screening

(just a minute while I climb on my soapbox-----again)

My father had colon cancer, so I knew I was at higher risk and got a colonoscopy right after I turned 50. I probably should have had it done when I was 45, but ok, at least I got it done. I get SO aggrivated with people my age and older who refuse to have a colonoscopy, citing reasons like their too busy or they have heard horror stories about the bowel prep necessary (I know every doctor uses a slightly different protocol for the prep, but I just didn't think it was that awful). My own mother would never get one, nor did my elderly aunt (why am I surprised, she didn't even get a mammogram until she was 75----and she and my mother were both nurses.) And these people who refuse to get colonoscopies----it's not a financial issue as they all have good insurance or Medicare. Makes. Me. Nuts.

(off the soapbox now)

I found this article on MSNBC.com about how doctors need to give patients options for screening for colon cancer, with the theory being that some screening is better than no screening at all. Colon cancer is one of the cancers that can be cured if you catch it early enough. If you have not gotten a colonoscopy yet----please, please consider it. You are important to a lot of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment