"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Sun, Collagen, Wrinkles And Bone Strength: All Related?

Hi everyone! Before you read today's article------go take a look in the mirror and assess your wrinkles. Go ahead, I'll wait.

OK. Now read this article from MedicalNewsToday.com. According to a study being presented this week at the Endocrine Society meeting, the more wrinkled you are, the higher your chances are of having low bone density. Yes, I know, now that you know that you are going to take a second look at all your friends with the idea of trying to guess at what their last DEXA scan results were, aren't you?

I find it kind of fascinating because in my 40's, I wasn't terribly wrinkled (all my fat kept me pretty smoothed out---I weighed over 300 pounds), but I did have osteopenia. Now that I am in my early 50's (I'll be 53 next week), I no longer have osteopenia----cured it with a combination of weight bearing exercise, bioidentical hormones and getting my Vitamin D level up to optimal range. I lost quite a bit of weight last summer and fall, so my face is a little more wrinkled, but actually I have been pretty lucky......I don't have that droopy look that so many women my age get when they drop a lot of pounds. I do get out in the sun, also-----I don't lay out and bake myself, but I walk about 5 days a week, and this time of year I am doing about 4-5 water workouts each week, so I am pretty tan (I'm convinced the optimal levels of Vitamin D help with that also, I don't burn like I used to, just get a nice golden glow).

Hope everyone is doing ok in this heat------today it was just too hot for me to go for a walk, even at 8 am. I did a weight workout and some water aerobics, so it was ok, but I do like my morning fitness walks. I've got a lot of Lady GaGa music downloaded into my IPod, as well as Black Eyed Peas, good walking music. Leave me a comment below and tell me what is your favourite walking music, I am always looking for new artists/songs to download. Stay cool, stay hydrated, make it a great June!

No comments:

Post a Comment