"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bioidentical Hormones Prevent and Reverse Osteoarthritis

Anyone besides me dealing with osteoarthritis?  Raise your hands.......yep, thought so!

If you are not already reading Bioidentical Hormone Health, you need to add it to your list of must read blogs.  Some excellent information!

I'm a fan of Dr. Jeffrey Dach (he's the doctor who refers to synthetic hormones as "monster hormones"), and I was particularly interested in his guest article today on BHH.  I particularly like that he makes the point that the cellular degeneration (from lack of hormones) may be "normal" (mainstream medicine's favourite word when it comes to bioidentical hormone balance and why we should not worry about getting our hormones optimized) but it certainly isn't optimal.  The article also discusses how estrogen replacement can help reduce the risk of developing osteoarthritis. 

Although I have had osteoarthritis for a number of years (family history of it), I know without a doubt that the hormone optimization has limited the progression of the disease.  It has also allowed me to the flexibilty and strength to exercise every day, which in turn further limits the damage to my joints from the arthritis.  I know, too, that the testosterone I take has strengthened my bones and my muscles, again allowing me to exercise harder, which in turn has helped my mobility.  Because of the problems in my back and hip, I still fall occasionally, but am strong enough to get up on my own and recover more quickly.