"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Warning: Hot Temperatures May be Hazardous to Your Drugs

If you are not reading Mary Shomon's blog on thyroid disease, be sure to add it to your reading list (remember, thyroid is a hormone too!) 

Mary republished a good article that needs to be heeded in this hot weather.......be careful about exposing your medications (especially your thyroid medications) to excessive heat in the summer.  Even leaving your purse/tote bag/suitcase in a hot car can adversely affect the potency of your meds.  I keep my car super air conditioned in the summer, partly because I carry around my bottle of progesterone cream to dose when I am out and about, and I don't want it turning into an ugly, runny mess!  I am careful with my T3 thyroid med too, I carry several pills with me in my purse so that I can take my afternoon dose on time (my Levoxyl doesn't go in my purse unless I am travelling, as I only take that in the morning).  As always, talk to your doctor (or better yet, your pharmacist, s/he probably knows more about it than the physician) about protecting your medications against the summer heat. 

Don't forget in this weather, too, to stay hydrated!  I now just automatically carry a water bottle with me wherever I go (and yes, I know at our age this means sometimes having to find a bathroom!), but I would rather not get dehydrated, the inconvenience of an extra bathroom trip is more than worth it.