"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Feeling lonely? It may increase risk of early death

Although I love my solitary time, I am a social creature. I love to spend a day with my friends, and as often as I can, you will find me with a group of friends having lunch, movies, socializing, perhaps shopping (not usually all in the same day!) I am one of those people who get life energy from my relationships, and I believe that the word "Friend" should always be spelled with a capital F.

Turns out being a social creature is good for my health.  A study detailed in this article from USA Today that people who are lonely face a 14% increase in risk of an early death.  It doesn't surprise me; I know of a few people who I would consider to be lonely (not transient loneliness, but those who don't have many friends and a lot of relationships in their lives).....and I truly believe that their isolation will shorten their lifespan.  I thought it interesting that lonely people have a higher level of cortisol, which is the stress hormone.  My cortisol level several years ago was very, very high, but I have made conscious steps (along with some supplement help) to bring the level down. Ironically, one of the factors that has helped me bring the level down is getting some awful, nasty women out of my life.  Most people can say that they know someone who makes them sick, in my case, I have blood work results to back it up!