"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Friday, February 14, 2014

Smoking Can Speed Menopause for Some Women

Good morning! Happy Valentine's Day to all.............

First off, I am keeping everyone in the path of the latest snowstorm (33 days until spring) in my thoughts. Here in NC, we are slowly digging out, it was so bad here mail delivery was suspended yesterday! Schools are still closed today, and the early commute was a nightmare (not many cars on the road, fortunately...lots of closings and delayed openings with local businesses) but the temperatures are warming and the sun is out! I may venture out this afternoon, even if it's just to drive over to the drugstore and pick up my prescription at the drive through window!

I suspect this does not apply to many of my readers, but if you need another reason to quit smoking, check out this article from NBCNews.  Women who are smokers and have a certain genetic mutation can experience menopause up to 9 years earlier than women who do not smoke.  Nine extra years an awfully long time to go without hormones, which as you know, affect every system of the body.  That's on top of all the other health risks smokers face.

Will probably post again later today.....I have about 3 articles bookmarked to read and share.  Stay warm!