"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, February 2, 2014

Happy Groundhog Day---Happy Super Bowl Sunday....

And in my little corner of the world----happy day after Syracuse University beat Duke in NCAA basketball!  So excited, I am very "rookie" basketball fan, but lived in the Syracuse area for many years so SU it is! It was a great game, when it went into overtime in the final seconds, I wasn't sure my heart could take it! Speaking of hearts....

February is National Women's Heart Health Month! You are wearing red next Friday, February 7, aren't you?   From the Mayo Clinic, a list of signs and symptoms of heart disease in women (the classic symptoms of chest pain are not always present in women having a heart attack).  I went to a Women's Heart Health Fair yesterday and picked up some great information that I will share with you this month.  One of the many reasons I take testosterone is that testosterone strengthens muscles, and remember, the heart is a muscle.....so I am making my heart stronger!


Interesting article in MedPageToday.com about the link between low Vitamin D levels and increased severity of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).  I continue to be amazed at how many people tell me they have never had their Vitamin D levels checked.  It's a simple and easy blood test, and costs usually less than $50.  I have my levels checked about 2-3 times a year, and the last time it was a nice, healthy 78 ng/ml (Dr. Carr likes his patients to be between 70-100 ng/ml.)  I take 10,000 IUs vitamin D3 this time of year (from October to mid April), then I cut to 5000 ng/ml for the summer months (I swim in an outdoor pool about 4-5 days a week in the summer.)  


Do not forget to drink plenty of water....every time of the year, actually, but particularly when it's been so cold (we went down to 5 degrees here in NC, which for us is very, very cold!)  I can tell how dry the air has been by how chapped my lips get, and I am lotioning my feet religiously so I avoid dry, cracked heels.  I'm making sure I get plenty of water too.....don't wait until you are thirsty!  


I hear the Groundhog saw his shadow this morning so there will be six more weeks of winter.  Some areas of the north will be happy if it's only six more weeks of winter, I am anxious for spring! Have a great week, everyone!