"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, May 9, 2011

Hot flashes may last a decade or more: study

Nothing like a little good news to brighten up Monday morning (I'm being sarcastic!) Reuters.com is reporting that a study being reported in this month's Obstetrics and Gynocology indicates that hot flashes in women may last 10 or more years. This is different from the mainstream medicine accepted guideline of hot flashes lasting about 5 years.

From talking to a lot of women who are older than me, most have told me their hot flashes last at least 10 years, sometimes much longer. Women in their 70's routinely tell me they are still having them. Those of us who are (bioidentically) hormonally balanced are lucky that we don't have to deal with all that. When I started the progesterone cream in September 2006, my hot flashes were so severe I was soaking 2-3 outfits per day---and that's not an exageration. Three days after starting the progesterone, I had my last hot flash, and it was mild. Never mind all the other health benefits bioidentical hormone balance provides-----I'd take it just to not burst into flames multiple times each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment