"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, May 22, 2011

Morbid obesity reduces the effectiveness of levothyroxine for patients with hypothyroidism

This article from EndocrineWeb.com popped up on the newsfeed this morning, and I thought it was a good one to share with you all (or for those in the South, including me, y'all!). Levothyroxine is the generic term for Levoxyl, and it's given for hypothyroidism (thyroid is a hormone)----specifically for the T4 (storage part of the thyroid hormones). Too often only the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is addressed, when actually the T4 and T3 measurements are more indicitive of what is really going on with the thyroid.

Today may be our first 90 degree day here in NC for the summer---and I know much of the country is experiencing the first real hot spell of the year. Don't forget to hydrate---hydrate---hydrate! Drink before you feel thirsty, and don't leave the house with out a bottle of water. Hydrate before and after exercising. Make it a habit----and plain old water is the best hydration!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a woman in my mid-thirties. I am overweight due to low thyroid and I've also noticed that my body hair is decreasing. A few months ago, I tried desiccated porcine thyroid and I can see the positive results.

    ReplyDelete