"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, April 15, 2012

Being Thankful!

 I know that most of us are thankful for the blessings of our life, but sometimes we get so caught up in the day to day madness of the world that it's easy to lose sight of what's important, what makes up our world, and how much we really have. 

I've kept a gratitude journal off and on for probably 15 years----I learned about it from the psychologist who treated my PTSD.  I have until the last couple years used paper and pen (I love pretty notebooks, so having something to use as a journal has never been a problem). 

I've had an IPhone for a couple years, and I have used an app called "Gratitude" to list what I am thankful for each day.  I was fairly consistent about using it, but like most people over 50, sometimes find the buttons to type on my IPhone a little annoying.  Now that I have the IPad, problem solved. I keep my gratitude journal on this app, the link will take you to the ITunes Store.  If you only have an IPhone, there is a companion app for that too, and it's upgraded to fix what were some minor bugs. 

What am I thankful for today?  In no particular order:

1.  Progresterone
2.  Testosterone
3.  Another beautiful spring day
4.  My IPad (I've spent much of the morning reviewing articles to put in the blog, expect several new posts this week!)
5.  Pandora radio (it's streaming while I'm doing my computer work)
6.  Trader Joe's naturally sweetened (more about that later) Cherry Pomegranate flavour sticks (you put them in a bottle of water-----yummy!)
7.  The ability to exercise to make my core strength, not to mention my bones, stronger
8.  My blog readers
9.  Dr. Carr --- I never, ever forget what a blessing it is to have a doctor who "gets it" and believes that bioidentical hormone optimization is preferable to a handful of medications.   I truly believe without the hormone balance, I would have been dead before I turned 60. 
10.  My hands ---- today I plan to spend part of the day doing my craft work (if you want to see what goes on in that aspect of my life, take a peek at my Needle Notes blog).  I'm a knitter, a beader, and a bit of a papercrafter-----my artwork/craftwork has gone a long way to keeping me sane at some very difficult times in my life. 
11.  My friends.  I am so blessed to have wonderful, supportive,  loving friends in my life, and although I (hope) I have always appreciated them, I have much more so in the last year after a bullying situation from some terrible, awful women left me shaken right to my core.  Mean girls come in all ages, I guess, and that was a hard lesson to learn. 
12.  Ravelry. For those of you who are not knitters or crocheters, it's a social media site for those of us who are.  I've met some great friends from that site. 
13.  Adele (the musician).  Listening to her right now, her voice makes me feel stronger.
14.  The Internet. All of us of a "certain age" can't help but marvel at how far computers have come since we started having them in our homes------as much as there is bad out there online, I still think there is more good, and I  know the Internet has made my life better in so many ways.
15.  Pinterest.  I need a 12 step program for that site :)

What are you grateful for this week?  Whatever it is, have a great, healthy, balanced week!