"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, April 16, 2012

Diet soft drinks have ‘complex’ relationship with overall health: Study

Consumers must consider the entirety of their diet considering whether to switch to or add diet soft drinks into their diet, according to new research which sheds light on the 'complicated interplay' between health and consumption of diet and zero calorie soft drinks.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Diet-soft-drinks-have-complex-relationship-with-overall-health-Study

Note from Andrea: if you are wondering why I am including this article on the blog-----I have an announcement----I am now 39 days diet soda free! That stuff was like crack to me, and I just decided that I truly needed to break the bad habit.  I think it was making my sugar cravings worse, and I certainly don't need that.   For me it is particularly hard, since diet soda was one of the ways I soothed myself when I was upset or in pain, and I am not a coffe or (much of) a tea drinker.  I largely substitute water (and in the process have saved a little money in restaurants), and I keep Trader Joe's or Crystal Light naturally sweetened drink sticks in my purse to add to water when I need something flavoured.  The big test will likely be when I go to CA next month for my visit with Dr. Carr (and a few days of sightseeing!)-----since I am on vacation, I will allow myself one or two "real" Cokes as a treat.  I do not miss lugging 12 packs of Diet Rite from my car up to the condo, but I have to admit, it's still hard and I miss the taste of the carbonation.  Feeling very proud!