"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, April 12, 2012

Remember This: Exercise Boosts Your Brainpower

Wow, if anyone had said to me five years ago I would be touting the benefits of exercise, I would have thought them a little nuts.  I did not exercise regularly, I did not exercise period.  Once I got my hormones balanced and regained my energy, I had no more excuses not to exercise, and every reason TO exercise.  I am not perfect, but most weeks I do at least 5 days of workouts either at the gym or at home (I have a set of light weights at home, as well as a balance ball and stretch bands.)  I'm more toned, I know the weight training has helped cure my osteopenia, my back is stronger, and I just feel better generally. 

Turns out that exercise improves your brain power!  Check out this article from WebMD.com, discussing the effect of exercise on cognitive functioning.  Any of us who are peri/post menopausal know how frustrating the cognitive impairment of declining hormones can be, and after watching a friend's husband just die of frontal temporal dementia (at 64 years of age) I am acutely aware of my own cognitive functioning. 

Hope the weather where you all are is as lovely as it is here in NC, this has been a fantastic spring after a very mild winter!  Enjoy your weekend, everyone!