"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tips for successful home blood pressure monitoring

Do you have a blood pressure monitor at home?  More importantly, do you use it?  I have one, and most of the time I am pretty consistent in using it. I used to be quite hypertensive (weighing over 300 pounds, gee, I can't imagine why), my blood pressure now is usually quite good unless I am in a lot of pain, or if I am under a great deal of stress (which is why I meditate regularly).  When Dr. Carr was in NC, I used to just take my monitor with me each month and then compare my reading with the one in his office.  The monitor I have saves the last 20 readings, so I could just push a button and show him what my most recents readings were.  I just downloaded a new app for my iPad (free) to keep track of your blood pressure and other health statistics.  Since I am taking my iPad to CA next month, I can just show Dr. Carr how my blood pressure is doing using that program. 

KevinMD.com had a very informative article recently on his blog about monitoring your blood pressure at home.  It's worth checking out!