"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, April 26, 2012

Early menopause may pose mortality risk.....



This article from MedPageToday.com  was all over my newsfeed yesterday, and it is important reading for women of all ages.  Women who reach menopause before the age of 47 have a far greater risk of developing osteoporosis, fracturing bones, and premature death than those who reach menopause after age 47.

This should be definitive evidence that all women need BIOIDENTICAL hormone optimization! Sadly, the makers of the bone density drugs are going to jump all over this and start recommending that ALL menopausal women take the drugs ........ I can see the ad campaigns now!!!!!! Most of you have already heard my take on this......I had osteopenia (the precursor to osteoporosis) before I started the bioidenticals in 2006. Three years later I had another bone density study, and not only did I no longer have osteopenia, my bone density scores were comfortably in the normal range! Dr. Carr, Dr. Hines (my pain management doctor), and I were all thrilled! The increase in bone density is absolutely due to the hormone optimization (testosterone), Vitamin D optimization, and I do three weight workouts each week (I hate them, but I do them).


Dr. Carr posted a similar piece on his Facebok page yesterday, and he summed his thoughts this way: "Next time someone tells you that you don't need hormones, tell them that you like your bones and you like being alive.". Well said.