"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, July 19, 2010

Exercise, drink tea to prevent dementia

Good morning! Figured I better get today's article posted early, since we are expected to have thunderstorms later this afternoon (pretty common in the Southeast in the summertime). Check out this article from LSJ.com---three good health habits to help prevent dementia---exercise, drink tea, and make sure to maintain sufficient levels of Vitamin D (which is actually a prohormone, not a vitamin). Well, I'm two for three, I take 5000 IUs Vitamin D daily, I exercise 5-6 days per week......the tea? Not so much. I have never been a big tea drinker, although with it as cold as it was last winter here, I was drinking a cup or so a day (generally in the afternoon curled up with a book or my knitting).

I know I am sort of harping on this, but it's been abnormally hot in much of the country for at least portions of the summer. Please make sure you are staying well hydrated, if you wait until you are thirsy, you are already dehydrated. Yes, I know it may mean an extra trip to the ladies room when you are out shopping, etc. but it's worth it. Make it a habit to grab a bottle of water to take with you whenever you leave the house (I use refillable bottles most of the time to cut down on the water bottles in the landfill). Make it a great day, stay safe---I'm off to the condo pool to get in my workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment