"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Friday, July 2, 2010

When is a drug too risky to stay on the market?

I read this earlier in the week and meant to share it with you---from the AP.com via TheMercury.com. It's an overview of how the FDA decides if a drug is too dangerous to remain on the market. I found it fascinating because I had just started taking Bextra (it wasn't helping too much, so it wasn't a big deal to go off it) when the whole Vioxx scare erupted in 2004. I've never taken synthetic hormones, but I know some of you have. I'm convinced in the next 5 years that the cholesterol/statin drugs, and/or the bone density drugs are going to come under closer FDA scrutiny and possibly be pulled from the market.

It's finally cooler here in NC---after 18 straight days of 90 degree plus temperatures! It's wonderful to walk outside and not feel like you will melt on the way to your car. Hope everyone has a great, safe Independence Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment