"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What Can The Arterioles Tell Us About Hypertension?

It's well known that much of the medical research is done on men, as it is theorized that women have too many hormonal fluctuations over the course of their lives to give accurate information as to how well a particular drug/treatment works. This article from MedicalNewsToday.com is a little complicated to understand----but the message that science is finally starting to look at the differences in hypertension (high blood pressure) in men and women.

If you are peri/menopausal, please consider getting a home monitoring system for your blood pressure. They can be purchased for around $50-60, and it can potentially save your life. I've had hypertension since about the mid 90's, my weight was to blame for some of it, and I have a history of hypertension in my family. It's well controlled now, and the only med I take for it is a mild diuretic, and I can probably discontinue that in another 10-15 pounds (one more reason to keep working hard to get that weight off!).

No comments:

Post a Comment