"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Study Shows that the Addition of T3 is Superior to Levothyroxine/T4-Only Thyroid Treatment for Hypothyroidism

Hello everyone! Late posting today----I took a trip to a local botanical garden today---somewhat of a waste for two reasons: 1. mysteriously the memory card was missing from my camera (I have never taken it out that I know of, and I live with three stuffed animals), 2. the brutal summer heat really whipped most of the flowers, it was nowhere near as beautiful as last year. That's ok, I still have a couple more gardens to visit this month, and goodness knows I have a lot of flower pictures already.

Today's article comes from Mary Shomon's Thyroid Blog (if you don't subscribe to it and you are one of the many peri/menopausal women who have thyroid issues, subscribe, I have learned a great deal from her weekly emails)---and it confirms what many patients have long suspected -----a combination T3/T4 thyroid medication protocol is superiour to a T4 only regime. I have been taking T4 (Levoxyl) and T3 (compounded) medications for over 4 years, and I know it's the two meds together that keep me feeling well. It breaks my heart when patients email me with all the classic symptoms of thyroid imbalance, and their doctors either refuse to test them, or only test TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and tell the patient it is in "normal" limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment